1961-1974 Formal study in the state of Kuwait.
1974-1978 BS degree from Kuwait university-Biochemistry department with general point average of “B”(80-90%), as biochemistry major/ chemistry minor graduate.
1978-1981 PhD degree from Essex University, UK. Thesis Title: Redox and Ligand Binding properties of Haem Proteins.
1999-2000 University of London, U.K. Post Graduate Certificate training on Intellectual Property.
A- PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
I have supervised and managed teams in which technical and Legal material are required such as draft proposal for Jordan ministry of health IPR in drug registration systems. I have jointly with another author published an Arabic text of “Guide to European Patent Convention”. I have as well, validated the EPO book titled How to get European patent: Guide for applicant in Arabic.
B- MANAGERIAL COOPERATION:
I have managed tasks such as law and regulation drafting concerning IPR in developing countries. In this regard I have worked with well known figures in the field such as:
Dr. Konstantinos Karachalios (EPO)
Dr. Pascal Phlix – Project for Africa & the Middle East (EPO)
Dr. Harald Pichlhofer – Head of Unit Institutional Strengthening European Patent Academy (EPO)
Dr. Josef Riolo – Member of a Board of Appeal in Chemistry (EPO)
Dr. Diego Agustín Carrasco Pradas – Acting Director of the PCT External Legal Relations Division (WIPO)
Dr. Heinz Goddar – Former President LES
Dr. Salah Mawajdah – EX-President of Jordan food & Drug Administration (JFDA) & Minister of health currently (2007)
Dr. Adnan Badwan – Head of Jordan Chamber of Industry and head of the Jordanian Association of Pharmaceutical manufacturers (JAPM)
1. Managing Director of SIPS. SIPS is IP management and consultancy company. SIPS provide studies to various private and public center establishment such as:
• SIPS is responsible for IPR of several pharmaceutical companies.
• SIPS is represented in the ministry of health IP forum.
• SIPS cooperate closely with Ministry of trade and industry on Patent issues.
Finally while SIPS is private organization it positioned itself to be an extension of public sector to enforce and promote innovation.
2. Senior advisor; Industrial Investment Council (IIC), Berlin, Germany.
3. Arab Union of the Manufacturers of Pharmaceuticals & Medical Appliances (AUPAM) IPR consultant
4. Headed IPR committee of ministry of health
5. UNDP 2006 thematic expert on IPR in Bahrain project
The main areas of interest in Intellectual Property are Patent Law and Procedure. Relating national and international treaties is another focus area for my work such as TRIPS, FTA and European Partnership Agreement. I have participated in the following activities as expert speaker:
1. Ministry of Trade symposium on “Effect of Joining the WTO on the Arab Pharmaceutical Industry”, – (1996).
2. WIPO symposium on “Intellectual Property Laws and the Pharmaceutical Industry”, – (1996).
3. JUMP symposium “Patent Law Effect on the Prospects of the Pharmaceutical Industry” – Amman, Jordan (1999).
4. JUMP symposium “Effects of proposed Jordanian F.P laws on local Pharmaceutical law” – Amman, Jordan (1999).
5. Working conference on “the future of the Pharmaceutical Industry into the 21 century” – London, UK (1999).
6. WIPO symposium “Intellectual Property overview” – Amman, Jordan (2000).
7. E.U workshop “European Partnership agreement and the rules of origin” – Amman, Jordan (2000).
8. E.U workshop “European Partnership agreement and TRIPS” – Amman, Jordan (2000).
9. Royal Pharmaceutical society symposium “Recent trends in use law relating to Pharmaceutical Industry” – London, UK (2000).
10. Boehmert & Boehmert Training seminar on Obtaining, Enforcing and Evaluating IP R in Europe – Munich, Germany (2002).
11. Patent Profile for Product Choice – Amman (2002)
12. Pharmaceutical Patents Search, Reading and Analysis – Amman, Jordan ( 2002)
13. LES-Italy, Europe Health Care conference – Milan (2002).
14. Boehmert & Boehmert Training seminar on Obtaining, Enforcing and Evaluating IP R in Europe – Munich, Germany (2003).
15. Boehmert & Boehmert Training seminar on Obtaining, Enforcing and Evaluating IP R in Europe – Munich, Germany (2004).
16. EPO-WIPO seminar International IP agreement & negotiations – Geneva, Switzerland (2004)
17. Boehmert & Boehmert Training seminar on Obtaining, Enforcing and Evaluating IP R in Europe – Munich, Germany (2005).
18. EPO-WIPO seminar International IP agreement & negotiations – Geneva, Switzerland (2005).
1. Jordan IP regulation in health drafting system & regulation during 2003 – 2005.
2. Revising reading of Jordan patents of Invention law No. (32) of 1999.
3. Submission of complaints & contradiction of Jordan patents of Invention law No. (32) of 1999 for minister of Industry & Trade.
4. Reviewing Jordan PCT law requirement & regulation through propose patent law change for the year 2006.
5. Proposal for adapting European patent Convention EPC to Middle East countries patent laws submitted to the EPO, Middle East & North African region.
6. Implementing international agreement obligation into developing countries patent system draft proposal for discussion with WIPO/EPO – Geneva, Switzerland (2005).
7. Regulations of implementing Jordan Trademarks Law No. (33) of 1952 in view of generic industry use of originators compound name submitted for Ministry of Industry & Trade – Jordan (2005).
1. Member of the Technical board of review Herbal & national medicine in the Jordan FDA years 2000 until 2005.
2. Member National committee on Quality Control of Herbal Laboratory, Ministry of Planning years 2005 until 2006.
3. Head of LES –AC “Pharmaceutical Sciences committee” years 2005 until now.
4. Senior advisor on life science for Industrial Investment Council – Germany years 2003 until now.
Partial list for view of scientific expertise.
1. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1982) Biochem J 201, 433 “Reduction of Cytochrome C and other Heam Proteins by Catechol(s) and Qunol(s)”.
2. Jim Peterson, Mohammed Saleem, Jack silver, Michael T. Wilson& Ian E. G. Morrison (1983)” On the Preparation and Mossabauer Properties of Some Heme Peptides of Cytochrome C” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry19, pp165-178.
3. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1987) Inorg Chem. Acta 137, 139 “Kinetic Studies on the Reduction of Cytochrome C- Reaction with Organic Oxy – Compounds”.
4. MMM Saleem (1987) “UNESCO-SEFI International Symposium on Innovative Methods in Technological Education” Orsay- France 21-24 September pp 152-160 “Utilization of Computer Authoring Systems”.
5. AL-Kharafi, A Hajaj & MMM Saleem (1987) “UNESCO-SEFI International Symposium on Innovative Methods in Technological Education” Orsay-France 21-24 September pp448-458 “Perspectives of Computer Education in Kuwait”
6. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1988) Inorg chem. Acta 153, 93 “Ligand binding to Haem Proteins. I Equilibrium Studies”.
7. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1988) Inorg chem. Acta 153, 99 “II Kinetic Studies”.
8. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1988) Inorg chem. Acta 153, 105 “III Temperature Dependence Studies”.
9. Mohammed Saleem & M. T. Wilson, “Ligand Binding to Cytochrome c and other related Haem Proteins and Peptides. Part I. Equilibrium Studies.” Inorganica chimica Acta153(1988), pp93-98
10. Mohammed Saleem & M. T. Wilson (1988), “Ligand Binding to Cytochrome c and other related Haem Proteins and Peptides. Part II. Kinetic Studies.” Inorganica chimica Acta153, pp99-104
11. Mohammed Saleem & M. T. Wilson (1988), “Ligand Binding to Cytochrome c and other related Haem Proteins and Peptides. Part III. Temperature Dependence Studies.” Inorganica chimica Acta153, pp105-113
12. MMM Saleem & MT Wilson (1989), “Kinetic Studies on the Reduction of Cytochrome C. Reaction with Thiolic Compounds” Unpublished results.
13. M.Saleem “Evaluation of CAL on educational objectives” International Symposium on CAL 11-14 April 1989, Th/1645/P/G, university of Surry, U.K.
14. M.Saleem “NMR simulation by computers” UNESCO: workshop on modern trends in chemistry, Egypt, 1994.
15. M.Saleem “Molecular modelling of Keterolac tromthamine aqueous solubilization of hydrophobic compounds” Biotechnology symposium, 1996, Jordan. P 17.
16. M. Saleem (1997) “stability of recombinant protein drugs” Arab Union of Pharmaceutical manufactures conference, “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology”.
17. M.Saleem (1997) “Simulation an effective training tool”, Pharmaceutical industry J. 1,25-29.
18. M.Saleem and H.Taha “Regulations governing market authorization of medical herbal products” Herbal medicine conference Jordan, 1998.
19. M.Saleem and H.Taha “International comparative study on market authorization of medical herbal products” Herbal medical conference Libya, 1999.
20. M.Saleem and H.Taha “Quality of raw material in Herbal medicine preparations”, “Proceedings of ninth Jordanian Pharmaceutical union conference” p.35, 2000.
21. M. Saleem 2000 African Conference on Medicinal Plants Research, Quality of Raw Material in Herbal Medicine Preparations pp 6.
22. M.Saleem “Utilization pf I.P. Laws for the local Pharmaceutical industry”, “Proceedings of ninth Jordanian Pharmaceutical union conference” P.35, 2000
23. M. Albarghouthi, D. AbuFaram, M.Saleem, T. Elthaher, K. Matalka & A. Badwan (2000) “Immobilization of antibodies on alginate-chitosan beads” Int. J. Pharm. 206, 23-34.
24. M. Saleem (2000) “patent law in pharmaceuticals: comparative study of Jordanian law referenced to EPC” ACDIMA conference on Effects of WTO on the future of the Arab Pharmaceutical industries”, Tunisia 20-23.
25. K. Matalka, T. Elthaher, M. Saleem, T. Arafat, A. Jehanli & A. Badwan (2001) “An enzyme Linked immuosorbent assay for determination of amlodepination of amlodpine in plasem” J. Clin. Lab. Anal. 14.
26. M. Saleem (2002), Utilization Of Computer Authoring systems in educational establishments pp 152-160
27. TS El-Taher, S. Khatib, M. Saleem, A. Shnoudeh, AA. Badwan. )2002(, International Journal of Impotence Research, “A novel compound JPM8, in vivo penile activity promotion in rats, effect on the relaxation and cGMP/cAMP accumulation in isolated rabbit corpora cavernosa” pp453-461
28. M. Saleem (2002), Arabian Gulf University Convenes the Arab conference on Medicinal Plants, “Patent and Related Rights in Herbal Preparations”, pp7.
29. M. Saleem (2002), Jordan Pharmaceutical Association, “IPR”.